1.03.2011

I listen to a lot of music.

Playlist made on December 24, 2010, of songs I've loved this year (I've loved more, but CDs don't hold more): 
The Daylight Here, Lauren O'Connell and Nataly Dawn
Helplessly Hoping, Crosby, Stills & Nash
Timshel, Mumford & Sons
Such Great Heights, The Postal Service
Golden Slumbers, Ben Folds
Everytime I Go, Sarah Sample
Overjoyed, Stevie Wonder
I've Seen All Good People: A. Your Move, B. All Good People, Yes
Hourglass, Mindy Gledhill
Ye Elders Of Israel, The Lower Lights
If You Could Hie To Kolob, The Lower Lights
Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy, The Lower Lights
What I Wouldn't Do, A Fine Frenzy
Reckoner, Radiohead
Sparks, Coldplay
Makin' Out, Pomplamoose
Single Ladies, Pomplamoose Covering Beyonce
Numb, Sia
Something Good Can Work, Two Door Cinema Club
Tiger Mountain Peasant Song, Fleet Foxes
Wake Up, Arcade Fire
I got an iTunes gift card for Christmas. $15 of new music! Heaven! I love new music, but kind of have a hard time finding new songs I like, so I asked for music recommendations on Facebook a little while ago. And then I ignored them all! Because I have issues!
Here's a taste of my music issues:
  1. I hate country. HHHHHAAAAATTTTTEEEEE. No. Just no.*
  2. I don't like music that feels overproduced. I like voices that sound like they could just be singing on the street corner.**
  3. I like real instruments to be used. I like hearing that squeaky sound made when a person's moving their fingers from one chord to the next on a guitar. I like REAL piano, not keyboards. I like REAL drums, not a drum machine.**
  4. I like the banjo.  ***
Enough issues? I got tired of listing them, so that's enough for now.
We've previously discussed my love of The Lower Lights. Well, many of the musicians involved in that group have their own solo endeavors. I bought Mindy Gledhill's and Sarah Sample's albums in 2010 and have really liked them, especially Sarah's. What I don't understand is this: I've always really liked listening to Ryan Tanner and Paul Jacobsen at the concerts. They're both very nice guys, from what I can tell the couple times I've met them. They really bring it at concerts (well, all The Lower Lights members do ...). But did I look into THEIR solo stuff? Nope.
So, this year's music purchases began with Paul Jacobsen and the Madison Arm (go take a listen. I command you!). And I am quite happy. But I still have $5 in iTunes. So, any recommendations? ****

* I appear to have a fondness for alt-country, but the singer can't have twang. NO TWANG. I guess I actually like the banjo and slide guitar used in interesting musical ways.
** These rules are subject to change if the song is just right. But it has to be just right.
*** Really. I really do.
**** I may actually listen to them! I swear!

No comments: