11.26.2010

I make good pies.

No really, I do!
I made a pecan pie and a coconut cream pie for Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law's house in Colorado. I've made both of them before, with varying results.
The pecan pie is this one, courtesy of Pioneer Woman. I first made it a year or two ago, and it did not turn out well. The filling never set. The top layer of chopped pecans and gooey caramel was delicious but the inside? Syrup. This time, I fiddled with the cooking times, leaving the foil on for 40 minutes, taking it off for about 20 minutes, and finishing it off for a final 10 minutes with foil around the edges. And behold, it set without the edges burning!
The coconut cream pie is from America's Test Kitchen and it's a no fail for me. I think I've made it three times, and each one turned out wonderful. (Yeah, that link totally will not work if you don't have a membership with them. Very annoying.)
But, there are no pictures of these pies.
I didn't really take any pictures over Thanksgiving, besides a family group shot that is not that exciting. So no pictures for you, just a promise that the pies were delicious. As was the homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest, also a Test Kitchen recipe (I have their binder cookbook, a very wise Costco purchase a couple years ago).
Be sure and ask me for the recipes for next Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Dani said...

You make tasty pies. I've had them before. :)

janabananagirl said...

You know, I had the same problem the first time I made PW's pecan pie. We figured out that it works better (and cooks faster) if you don't cover the whole pie during the first 30 minutes. Just cover the edges. Then, uncover everything for the last 20 minutes or so. Mine only needed an extra 5 minutes on top of the time she recommended and it came out perfect.

Becky said...

Mmmmmm....yummy!!